Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Marginal Way


Every summer I like to go visit my parents in Wells, Maine.  They have a little summer cottage that I grew up using and loved, about 2 miles from the beach.  There's a beautiful, delightful, mile long walk called the Marginal Way which starts at Perkins Cove in Oguinquit, ME.  
One morning I woke up at 4am and drove out there to find a stunning sunset.  With my camera and tripod in hand I walked along the path breathing in the cool morning air, fresh salt and all.  I wondered along the rocks being ever so careful not to fall, although clumsy me did at one point but luckily my elbow broke the fall and not my camera.  
I found a few good spots and took some pictures, experimenting with different shutter speeds, and apertures to get some really cool pics.  Some might say mystical...
Take a look and enjoy!

32sec_f/11_100iso_29mm


The first picture I took that day, looking out into the ocean from the parking lot of Perkins Cove.  The color of the sky was glowing with oranges, blues, pinks, and purples.

12sec_f/11_100iso_18mm

This is one of my favorites.  Being down on the rocky coast felt like a second home.  Taking the picture I realize it's a fairly long shutter speed and the water came out a little white but I actually like that aspect.  It brought a what I like to call a "mystical effect" to it.  Also seeing the rocks under the water made it look like fog in a way which came out great.


3.2sec_f/11_100iso_18mm


2.6sec_f/22_100iso_18mm


1.0sec_f/29_100iso_33mm

1/6sec_22mm_100iso_18mm
This was the first shot I took as the sun was rearing it's pretty head above the horizon.  I sat there waiting for 20 minutes as I found this spot looking out across the ocean.  I thought the composition was good in the placement of the rocks, along with the angle I took the photo.




1/25sec_22mm_100iso_18mm

1/15sec_f/22_100iso_47mm
In this photo the sun was above the horizon shining upon the wet rocks emanating a glow.  Which for whatever reason the more I looked at this picture, the more I began to get attached to it




1/40sec_f/22_100iso_18mm

1/200sec_f/6.3_100iso_18mm
Well, that it the Marginal Way at Perkins Cove, in Ogunquit, ME.  I enjoy this place...smelling the fresh salty air, the ocean breezes, looking out into the ocean, and adding the essence of the morning sunlight just added to the pleasure.  Waking up at 4am to experience this is well worth it, in my book.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really great post hun, I love it. I really like the discriptions you gave some of the photos, explaining how you felt about the photo. You did a beautiful job arranging the photos, I can't wait to see your future blog posts! Love you-

    Mandala~*~ xo

    ReplyDelete